[ncl-talk] Cross section vertical coordinate and tick mark labeling

Ryan Connelly rconne01 at gmail.com
Sun May 8 20:22:32 MDT 2016

Hi,

I produce a vertical plane of, in this case, simulated reflectivity.  I
want to then manually define the y axis (in this case z) to have tick marks
every 2 km from 0 to 10 km.  This is proving surprisingly difficult.

This WRF run has 39 vertical levels, yet somehow a PrintVarSummary of the
newly-created plane (below) reveals that its vertical extent is "100".  100
whats?  Not 100 vertical levels, not 100 meters or 100 km, not 100 hPa...

I figured out how to use the tmYLValues and tmYLLabels options in xy
plotting resources (also below) to define where to put tick marks and what
to label them, to get me the 2-4-6-8-10 that I want, *but my problem is:
how do I get them to match the actual vertical coordinate of the data
(meters or km)?*  Right now, I can put in any numbers I want and it'll put
them there, but the contours don't move, so the actual height of the data
is not changing, and remains unknown.

Variable: dbz_plane
Type: float
Total Size: 60400 bytes
            15100 values
Number of Dimensions: 2
Dimensions and sizes:   [Vertical | 100] x [Horizontal | 151]
Coordinates:
Number Of Attributes: 4
  _FillValue :  9.96921e+36
  units :       dBZ
  description : Reflectivity
  Orientation : Cross-Section: (27,254) to (142,156)

 ; Options for XY Plots
        opts_xy                         = res
        opts_xy at tiYAxisString           = "Height (km)"
        opts_xy at cnMissingValPerimOn     = True
        opts_xy at cnMissingValFillColor   = 0
        opts_xy at cnMissingValFillPattern = 11
        opts_xy at tmYLMode                = "Explicit"
        ;opts_xy at tmYLValues              = fspan(0,100,6)
 ; Create tick marks
        ;opts_xy at tmYLLabels              = fspan(0,10,6)  ; Create labels
        opts_xy at tiXAxisFontHeightF      = 0.020
        opts_xy at tiYAxisFontHeightF      = 0.020
        opts_xy at tmXBMajorLengthF        = 0.02
        opts_xy at tmYLMajorLengthF        = 0.02
        opts_xy at tmYLLabelFontHeightF    = 0.015
        opts_xy at PlotOrientation         = dbz_plane at Orientation

Thanks,
Ryan

--
Ryan Connelly
M.S. Student in Atmospheric Sciences, Stony Brook University
rconne01 at gmail.com
ryan.connelly at stonybrook.edu