[ncl-talk] A question about the Cape index

姚凯 ken3yao at 126.com
Wed Mar 23 23:08:37 MDT 2016

Dear all:

      I’m Kai Yao, a graduate from Nanjing University. Recently, I’m doing some work about convection weather. Your ncl scripts are really helpful, and thanks for everything you have done.

      Now, I’m confused about the script that plots the Skew_T and the Cape index it calculates. I have a data containing pressure, height, temperature, dew point temperature, wind speed and wind direction of 28 levels from 1000hpa to 100hpa in TXT format. The plot shows that the cape index is about 2000, but when after the interpolation, I get the data of 901 levels from 1000hpa to 100hpa, then I redrew the plot, and it shows the cape index is about 800 which is much closer to the calculation from the micaps software.

      I would like to know whether it is the vertical resolution that causes the difference. If so, what is the supposed vertical resolution and the best interpolation method when I want to know the real cape index?

     Looking forward to your reply

Best

Yours

Kai Yao