[ncl-talk] Masking 3d data from Shapefile

Samar Min Allah minallah at umich.edu
Wed Mar 23 21:26:18 MDT 2016

Hello,

I have a shapefile of a basin (irregular polygon) and I want to use it to
clip a netcdf file (i.e, select only the points lying inside the shapefile).

There is an example that does the same on a 2d array however I have a
variable with (time, lat, lon) coordinates for which this does not work;

https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Scripts/shapefiles_4.ncl

I am having a hard time modifying this to 3d.
​Looping through all the time (thousands of values) is not feasible.​

​I​
s it possible to mask the variable and output it as a separate netcdf or
alternatively subset a
​ netcdf with irregular polygon.

Thanks
--