[ncl-talk] NCL map line and fill color

Rick Brownrigg brownrig at ucar.edu
Mon Mar 14 16:12:44 MDT 2016

HI Ryan,

Alan is right about the enhanced color model in later versions of NCL --
I'd also recommend upgrading if you can.

However a couple of comments about your existing script:

i) Are you setting the resources mpFillOn = True?  An are you setting
mpFillBoundarySets to something appropriate (e.g., "National")?

ii) Under older versions of Ncl, named colors get mapped to the "closest"
color in the workstation's color map.  I notice you reference the colors
you want, and *then* set the colormap to something specific.  It's likely
the named colors are getting mapped to the default workstation colormap
(although I can't explain the randomness -- should be consistently the
wrong color!).  You might try placing your call to gsn_define_colormap()
before any other references to color.

Hope that helps...
Rick