[ncl-talk] My script does not work

Alan Brammer abrammer at albany.edu
Mon Mar 14 15:25:22 MDT 2016

Errors line by line. Starting at the top.
> warning:wkImageFileName is not a resource in the given object
> warning:wkImageFormat is not a resource in the given object

I don’t know what these are and I don’t get them.  They haven’t popped up on ncl talk for many years.

> warning:mpProjection is not a valid resource in test_contour at this time
> warning:mpMinLonF is not a valid resource in test_contour at this time
> warning:mpMaxLonF is not a valid resource in test_contour at this time
> warning:mpMinLatF is not a valid resource in test_contour at this time
> warning:mpMaxLatF is not a valid resource in test_contour at this time
> warning:mpShapeMode is not a valid resource in test_contour at this time
> warning:mpFillOn is not a valid resource in test_contour at this time
> warning:mpOutlineOn is not a valid resource in test_contour at this time
> warning:mpDataBaseVersion is not a valid resource in test_contour at this time
You’re passing mp resources to gsn_csm_contour() .  As that is no longer a map function it doesn’t understand mp resources. Delete all the lines where res at mp…. and set the below instead.  Then pass the new resources to wrf_map() as below.

mpres = True
  mpres at mpFillOn     = False
  mpres at mpMaxLatF    = 38.20                      ; specify the plot domain
  mpres at mpMinLatF    = 37.75                      ;
  mpres at mpMinLonF    = -120.00                     ;
  mpres at mpMaxLonF    = -119.10                     ;
  mpres at mpOutlineOn  = True                  ; turn the map outline on
  mpres at mpProjection  = "CylindricalEquidistant"    ;The default
  mpres at pmTickMarkDisplayMode  = "Always"
  mpres at mpDataBaseVersion      = "MediumRes"
  mpres at mpOutlineOn     =True
  mpres at mpShapeMode   = “FreeAspect"

  map = wrf_map(wks, a, mpres)

Still got a typo here.  Not sure how you edit these files, but I’d recommend looking at https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/editor.shtml the coloring will help pick up simple typos.

> (0)     wrf_map_overlay: Warning: This procedure is obsolete. Consider
> (0)                               using wrf_map_overlays instead.
As it says, use wf_map_overlays() instead.  Though this still works for me.

>  wrf_map_overlay(wrf,map,(/contour,vector/),True)

You’ve changed wks to wrf here? Not sure why. This causes the main error.

Here’s the edited version, with the newer overlay function. I would go through the edits above and then match up to my version.