[ncl-talk] Divide by zero error using "pot_vort_isobaric" function

Kyle Griffin ksgriffin2 at wisc.edu
Wed Mar 9 22:26:43 MST 2016

Hi Daniel,

OK, I finally read your email in all the detail I should have the first
time and found what should likely be an easy fix (this is the 3rd time I've
written this email - probably shouldn't reply to the list at this hour!).

You're reading a version in from shea_util.ncl, which is an older, out of
date, and unsupported version of pot_vort_isobaric (anything in
shea_util.ncl is unsupported, technically - and note the file and line
numbers in your error message). The safe guards for static stability that
you've likely seen Dennis and I discuss in previous posts have been fully
implemented in the contributed.ncl version that became officially supported
in the 6.3.0 release. I suggest you either comment out your load of
shea_util.ncl (if possible) or ensure that you load contributed.ncl after
you load shea_util.ncl - this should ensure the older function is redefined
when you load contributed.ncl.

Hope that is an easy fix and that your calculations will work now.

Kyle