[ncl-talk] writing netcdf file creating redundant dimensions

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Wed Mar 9 13:32:59 MST 2016

Ashish,

All variables in a NetCDF are required to have a name for every dimension.
If you don't provide any names for these dimensions, then NCL will add them
for you, starting with "ncl1", "ncl2", etc.

You didn't include any information on how this file was being written, but
my guess is that you are writing some variables that have no dimension
names. My suggestion is to name the dimension of every single variable you
plan to write to the file, and use consistent names.

I've attached a sample NCL script that writes three variables to a file.
 "x" and "y" are arrays with named dimensions, and "z" has none.  Note what
happens in the NetCDF file when you write these three variables to the file.

--Mary