[ncl-talk] Crash with eofunc_varimax_Wrap function

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Thu Jun 30 07:09:22 MDT 2016

offline from ncl-talk

re my comment:

I am not sure why you want to rotate.
The 1st two modes look very distinct.

===

Deriving a "global" eof is rather unusual for ocean grids. The atmosphere
is 'continuous'. The oceans are 'discontinuous' due to the continents. The
EOFs may be though of as orthogonal structures that result from
covariances.  Deriving a 'global' EOF is implicitly 'saying' that SST
variations in the Kuroshio may be related to the Gulf Stream.

An Example of using an EOF analysis over the ocean is:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/eof.shtml
Example 3

Good Luck