[ncl-talk] HDF5 reading issues

Alexander Schaefer aschae11 at uncc.edu
Wed Jun 29 08:16:00 MDT 2016

Hi All-

I am working on reading some LIDAR data and running into some issues with how NCL is handling some of the commands.

The first is with regards to strings.  I try to read a string variable and it spits out an HDF error.  I know the variable is a single string that is supposed to be read in; this was checked with hdfview.  Google and the HDF forums were of no help.

HDF5-DIAG: Error detected in HDF5 (1.8.14) thread 0:
  #000: H5Shyper.c line 6595 in H5Sselect_hyperslab(): hyperslab doesn't support H5S_SCALAR space
    major: Invalid arguments to routine
    minor: Inappropriate type
HDF5-DIAG: Error detected in HDF5 (1.8.14) thread 0:
  #000: H5Shyper.c line 6595 in H5Sselect_hyperslab(): hyperslab doesn't support H5S_SCALAR space
    major: Invalid arguments to routine
    minor: Inappropriate type

Why is NCL trying to read a string as a scalar?  Any ideas on whether this is a library issue or an NCL coding issue?

My second question is with respect to how NCL is reading in float variables.  I am reading in a variable that I wouldn’t expect NCL to struggle with but it is.  The variable being read should be about 57K x 533 point.  It reads in with no errors returned but checking the dimensions tells me that NCL has made it a ~57k x ~57k variable.  I thought maybe NCL was assuming a lat x lon grid; checking the data in the returned array gives me all 0s but printing the lats and lons I know there is data. Any ideas on what is going on?  Does the square array have to do with the hyperslab routines?

I am running NCL 6.3.0 on OS X 10.11.5.

I uploaded to the ftp the file for the tests: CATS-ISS_L1B_D-M7.2-V2-07.2015-08-26T16-27-44T17-14-51UTC.hdf5

Attached are the tests that produce the string error and the variable issue.

Thanks for any insight,
-Alex