[ncl-talk] questions about Lambert Conformal projection

Noelia otero noeli1680 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 04:55:36 MDT 2016

Hi,

I am doing a panel plot from datasets with regular grid, and so far I was
using mercator projection.
I was trying to change the projection to lambert conformal projection, but
I'm having some problems to make ir rigth (I was wondering if it's possible
to change the projection).
Besides, my plot also shows significant levels, so I am defining two plots:

    ;Defining plots attributes
      res                = True
      res at gsnAddCyclic   = False
      res at gsnMaximize    = True
      res at gsnDraw        = False
      res at gsnFrame       = False
      res at lbLabelBarOn   = False

     ; Try with LamConf proj.
       res at mpProjection           = "LambertConformal"; choose projection
       res at mpFillOn                 = False             ; turn off map fill
       res at mpMinLatF              = min(lat)                ; min lat to
mask
       res at mpMaxLatF             = max(lat)               ; max lat to mask

       res at mpMinLonF             = min(lon)               ; min lon to mask
       res at mpMaxLonF            = max(lon)               ; max lon to mask

       res at gsnMaskLambertConformal = True            ; turn on lc masking
       res at gsnMaskLambertConformalOutlineOn  = False ; turns off outline

 ;Significant plot

       res2 = True
       res2 at gsnAddCyclic = False
       res2 at gsnDraw = False
       res2 at gsnFrame = False
       res2 at cnLevelSelectionMode = "ManualLevels"
       res2 at cnMinLevelValF = 0.00
       res2 at cnMaxLevelValF = 1.05
       res2 at cnLevelSpacingF = 0.01
       res2 at cnFillOn      = False
       res2 at cnInfoLabelOn = False
       res2 at cnLinesOn      = False     ; do not draw contour lines
       res2 at cnLineLabelsOn = False

     ;defining also projection???
     ; res2 at mpProjection          = "LambertConformal"; choose projection
     ; res2 at gsnMaskLambertConformal = True            ; turn on lc masking
     ; res2 at gsnMaskLambertConformalOutlineOn  = False ; turns off outline

       opt = True
       opt at gsnShadeFillType = "pattern"
       opt at gsnShadeLow = 7
       plot2 = gsn_csm_contour(wks,prob,res2)
       plot2= gsn_contour_shade(plot2,0.05,-999,opt)
       plot = gsn_csm_contour_map_ce(wks,ave_diff({20:80},{-30:40}),res)

        overlay(plot,plot2)

My main questions are:

- Let's say that my grid is defined from -15W,30E and 30N, 65N. How should
I define the properties in the main plot res?? Because I am having
problemswhen using:
       res at mpMinLatF             = min(lat)                ; min lat to mask
       res at mpMaxLatF            = max(lat)               ; max lat to mask

  Instead, I tried with higher values..but I am not sure actually, how it's
working.

-Secondly, for the significant plot (res2), do I have to define mpMinLatF,
mpMaxLatF...etc..as well??

I would appreciate any suggestion.
Many thanks in advance

 Noelia