[ncl-talk] Integrate a variable

Guido Cioni guidocioni at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 01:04:33 MDT 2016

Hey Erick,
if you need to integrate over a certain depth I believe you can write the function yourself. I did something similar in one of my scripts:

;;;; first compute the pressure layers thicknesses ;;;
 dp=new(dim sizes(height),typeof(p))
 do i=0,dimsizes(time)-1
  dp(i,:)=dpres_plevel(p(i,:),pres_sfc(i),p(i,0),0)
 end do

; then compute the integral by summing the contribution of every layer
; note that NCL does the sum without looping, so everything should be fast
; also with big arrays
var_int=dim_sum_n(var*dp, 1)/g

I was using domain-averaged data, so with coordinates (time,z) but you can easily adapt the script for 2D (lat,lon) data.
Cheers

Guido Cioni
http://guidocioni.altervista.org <http://guidocioni.altervista.org/>