[ncl-talk] Smooth_color_map

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Thu Jun 9 14:13:00 MDT 2016

Hi Kunal,
I see what you mean. The areas of missing data are not helping NCL come up
with a smoother field. Note: NCL will not alter the data istelf to obtain a
smoother look when plotting. That is left to the user. To smooth the data
manually you could try using smth9_Wrap:
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/smth9_Wrap.shtml
Note that a grid point needs all the grid points neighboring it to be
non-missing to be smoothed. Beyond that function I am unsure what more to
suggest. Perhaps someone else can chime in with have another suggestion..
Adam

On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 9:48 PM, Kunal Bali <kunal.bali9 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Adam
>
> If you see the attached figure, the color shading is in contour but I need
> to make it smooth shading color.
>

> Regards
> Kunal Bali
>

> On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 1:30 AM, Adam Phillips <asphilli at ucar.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hi Kunal,
>> Can you please provide a graphical example of what you are looking for?
>> By default NCL smoothes the data between grid boxes via cnFIllMode =
>> "AreaFill", providing a smoother look. Setting cnFillMode = "RasterFill"
>> provides a more gridded look as each grid box is filled individually with
>> no smoothing between grid boxes.
>>
>> As always please respond to the ncl-talk email list..
>> Adam
>>

>> On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 10:53 AM, Kunal Bali <kunal.bali9 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear NCL users
>>>
>>> NCL generally provides the contour color map but I need to plot the
>>> smooth color map. Could you please let me know how do i get this one ?
>>>
>>> I tried this code but did not get the result
>>>
>>> res at cnSmoothingOn     = True
>>>

>>> Regards
>>> Kunal Bali

>> --
>> Adam Phillips
>> Associate Scientist,  Climate and Global Dynamics Laboratory, NCAR
>> www.cgd.ucar.edu/staff/asphilli/   303-497-1726
>>
>> <http://www.cgd.ucar.edu/staff/asphilli>

Adam Phillips