[ncl-talk] clean edges of a satellite orbit

Laura Fowler laura at ucar.edu
Tue Jun 7 11:50:43 MDT 2016

Hello:

I am trying to plot orbital data from the Terra Satellite, namely the
TOA outgoing long wave radiation. The netCDF file contains 3
one-dimensional fields that I am trying to use to plot the orbital
data with a cylindrical-equidistant projection.

LonFov(nTime): Longitude of the pixel.
LatFov(nTime): Latitude of the pixel.
TOAlw(nTime): Value of the outgoing long-wave radiation located at
LonFov and LatFov.

nTime is the length of my data set, so that I can plot a portion of
the satellite orbit. To plot the data, I use

res=True
res at gsnDraw           = True
res at gsnFrame          = True
res at gsnMaximize       = True
res at gsnSpreadColors   = True

res at mpProjection      = "CylindricalEquidistant"
res at mpDataBaseVersion = "MediumRes"
res at mpCenterLatF      = 0.
res at mpCenterLonF      = 180.

res at cnFillMode        = "RasterFill"
res at cnFillOn          = True
res at cnLinesOn         = False

res at cnInfoLabelOn     = False

res at sfXArray = LonFOV
res at sfYArray = LatFOV

wks = gsn_open_wks("pdf","test")
plot = gsn_csm_contour_map(wks,TOAlw,res)

My ncl script seems to work until the orbit widens and the edges of
the orbits start to show some streaks because it is trying to fill
contours (I think that this is what is happening). Is there a way that
I can correct this. I am attaching on of my plot so that you can see
what I am trying to do. I looked for the scripts in the Applications
directory but did not find how to correct this issue.

Thanks for your help,
Laura

--
Laura D. Fowler