[ncl-talk] Reading and computation efficiency

Guido Cioni guidocioni at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 02:38:59 MDT 2016

Hi,
the question is very simple, and I believe to already have the answer but still, is worth trying.
When managing large files in NCL I always have to create new tricks in the debugging phase in order to avoid long waiting times. Today I was trying to read a dataset with 401x401x150 points (approx 48 GB):

  data = addfile("./complete_remap.nc", "r")

  p    = data->pres    ; pressure     [Pa]
  t    = data->temp    ; temperature  [K]
  qv   = data->qv    ; qv [ kg/kg]
  z    = data->z_mc    ; geopotential [m]

  print("FILEs READ in "+get_cpu_time()+"s")

  rh=relhum(t, qv, p)
  td=dewtemp_trh(t, rh)

  print("COMPUTATION "+get_cpu_time()+"s”)

and getting the following printout.

(0)	FILEs READ in 47.4748s
(0)	COMPUTATION 499.424s

Is there any way to speed up the process? I tried to use as few definition as possible and only pre-included functions.
Why is the computation part taking so long? Maybe it’s something that depends on the system RAM?
In the meantime the best workaround that I could think of consisted in subsetting a region in the previous data and testing the code only on that file.

Cheers

Guido Cioni
http://guidocioni.altervista.org <http://guidocioni.altervista.org/>