[ncl-talk] Multi-faceted question about multiple contour overlays, not WRF data

Ryan Connelly rconne01 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 23:21:23 MDT 2016

I have a RAP file which I converted to netCDF.

I want to plot three variables (one filled, two contoured) over a map.
This can be done rather easily with the wrf_map_overlays function for
WRF-ARW data, but it doesn't seem there is an equivalent function for
non-WRF data.  My current plan is to use gsn_csm_contour_map_overlays for
the first two, then take that plot and the use overlay for the third.  Will
this work?  Is there a better way?  The documentation makes it seem that
gsn_csm_contour_map can only handle two datasets at a time.

In doing this, I get two main errors:

The first is that all of my map plotting options are not valid.  I made
sure that the opts for just the first variable in gsn_csm_contour_map had
the map plotting options, since that's what the documentation says to do.

The second is this:

fatal:Argument type mismatch on argument (1) of
(gsn_csm_contour_map_overlay) can not coerce
fatal:["Execute.c":8578]:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 190 in
file rap_fgen_1.ncl

Here's a code snippet:

; Plotting options for fgen
      opts3 = True
      [...]
      contour_fgen = gsn_csm_contour(wks,pett_fgen,opts3)

     ; Plotting options for pv
        opts = mpres
        [...]
        fill_pv = gsn_csm_contour(wks,pv300,opts)

    ; Plotting options for SLP
      opts2 = True
      [...]
      contour_psl = gsn_csm_contour(wks,slp,opts2)

    ; MAKE PLOTS
      plot = gsn_csm_contour_map_overlay(wks,fill_pv,contour_psl,opts,opts2)
      overlay(plot,contour_fgen)

Thank you in advance!
Ryan

--
Ryan Connelly
M.S. Student in Atmospheric Sciences, Stony Brook University
rconne01 at gmail.com
ryan.connelly at stonybrook.edu