[ncl-talk] grib2 file read

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Tue Jul 26 11:33:08 MDT 2016

The issue is that the NGAC grib tables are not publicly available.
If you know of where they are located, they can be included within NCL

In fact, there is a JIRA ticket on this:
[JIRA] (NCL-2442) GRIB-2: warning: Entry (not found in code table file
.../grib2_codetables/ncep/4/4.3.tableJust yesterday, a comment was made on
this ticket:

---------

Unfortunately the "not found in code table file" errors
that Dennis reported in this ticket cannot be corrected
because the entries for that were not found are not documented
by the NCEP GRIB2 web pages. Table 4.3 contains the generating process
mapping. The values found in the file, all in the range 62000 to 62016,
probably refer to local "generating processes" related to the NGAC model.
If documentation can be found to describe these I would be happy to add
them to the tables.

The other option to get rid of these admittedly annoying
messages might be to just not print the warnings for this piece of metadata
since it is not usually of that much interest to the data consumer. I would
be happy to consider this.

---------
Note: the *values* returned by NCL are correct. The meta data is not
because the
NCEP GRIB2 web pages are not available.

--------

Again, if you know where the appropriate tables are located, please send to
ncl-talk.

THX