[ncl-talk] Radar data plotting, no MAP_PROJ attribute

Ryan Connelly rconne01 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 13:31:28 MDT 2016

Hi Mary,

Thanks for getting back to me.  Sorry about the delay on my end.

printVarSummary of the rlat (or rlon) array shows

Variable: rlat
Type: float
Total Size: 131044 bytes
            32761 values
Number of Dimensions: 2
Dimensions and sizes: [y0 | 181] x [x0 | 181]
Coordinates:
            y0: [-120..119.94]
            x0: [-120..119.94]
Number Of Attributes: 3
  _FillValue : 41.94297
  standard_name : latitude
  units : degrees_north

and for rd_plane shows

Variable: rd_plane
Type: float
Total Size: 131044 bytes
            32761 values
Number of Dimensions: 2
Dimensions and sizes: [y0 | 181] x [x0 | 181]
Coordinates:
            y0: [-120..119.94]
            x0: [-120..119.94]
Number Of Attributes: 12
  z0 : 2
  time : 1424628563
  grid_mapping : grid_mapping_0
  coordinates : lon0 lat0
  units : dBZ
  long_name : radar_reflectivity
  standard_name : REF
  _FillValue : 9.96921e+36
  valid_max : 25.3757
  valid_min : -9.187451

printMinMax shows:

(0) latitude: min=39.779   max=41.943
(0) longitude: min=-74.313   max=-71.4156

The values of rlat and rlon are the correct latitude and longitude values,
but the trouble seems to be in matching the i,j'th point in rd_plane with
the lat,lon contained in the i'th point of rlon and j'th point of rlat, so
that the code can plot radar reflectivity in the correct place.

Thanks,
Ryan

rconne01 at gmail.com
ryan.connelly at stonybrook.edu