[ncl-talk] large ESMF regrid intermediate files

Katelyn Watson katelynwatson at u.boisestate.edu
Wed Jul 13 15:44:14 MDT 2016

I have a couple of NCL scripts I have been using to regrid data and am
having trouble with a new dataset, because the intermediate files appear to
be too big to write.  I was able to subset and run the scripts, but I would
prefer not to.  I found some mention of this issue back in the ncl-talk
archives (https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Support/talk_archives/2014/1840.html)
and was curious if there were updates since then.

I have tried including the line below, but still got the same error.  I
would include the script and files, but the files are not particularly
small.

setfileoption("nc","format","NetCDF4")

Thanks,
Katelyn

Output and error message:
 Copyright (C) 1995-2014 - All Rights Reserved
 NCAR Command Language Version 6.2.0
 The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
 See http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ for more details.
(0) ESMF_regrid_gen_weights: number of processors used: 1
(0) --------------------------------------------------
(0) ESMF_regrid_gen_weights: the following command is about to be executed
on the system:
(0) 'ESMF_RegridWeightGen --source Daymet.SCRIP_grid_description.nc
--destination WRF.SCRIP_grid_description.nc --weight
Daymet_to_WRF.bilinear.WgtFile.nc --method bilinear --src_regional
--dst_regional -i'
(0) --------------------------------------------------
(0) ESMF_regrid_gen_weights: output from 'ESMF_RegridWeightGen':
(0)      Starting weight generation with these inputs:
(1)        Source File: Daymet.SCRIP_grid_description.nc
(2)        Destination File: WRF.SCRIP_grid_description.nc
(3)        Weight File: Daymet_to_WRF.bilinear.WgtFile.nc
(4)        Source File is in SCRIP format
(5)        Source Grid is a regional grid
(6)        Source Grid is a logically rectangular grid
(7)        Destination File is in SCRIP format
(8)        Destination Grid is a regional grid
(9)        Destination Grid is a logically rectangular grid
(10)        Regrid Method: bilinear
(11)        Pole option: NONE
(12)        Ignore unmapped destination points
(13)
(14)     NetCDF Error: Daymet_to_WRF.bilinear.WgtFile.nc : NetCDF: One or
more variable sizes violate format constraints
(15)      ERROR: Problem on processor            0 . Please see the
PET*.RegridWeightGen.Log files for a traceback.
(0) ESMF_regrid_gen_weights: 'ESMF_RegridWeightGen' was not successful.

--
Katelyn Watson
PhD Candidate - Geosciences
katelynwatson at u.boisestate.edu