[ncl-talk] unvalid resources of legend

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Sun Jul 10 18:16:18 MDT 2016

Some resources are disabled by NCL's "plot manager" in certain cases.

If you go to the legend resources page:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/Resources/lg.shtml

and search for these resources, you'll see something that says:

This resource may be intercepted or disabled by:

   - *ContourPlot*
   <http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/HLUs/Classes/ContourPlot.shtml>
   - *XyPlot <http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/HLUs/Classes/XyPlot.shtml>*

You can follow the "XyPlot" link and it will explain (towards the bottom of
the page) why some resources are disabled.

I find the legend object in NCL to be on of the most frustrating to use. If
you need quite a bit of customization of your legend, then I might suggest
creating your own legend.  We have some examples at:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/legend.shtml

Good luck,

--Mary