[ncl-talk] Writing binary characters while invoking WriteByteOrder

Dave Allured - NOAA Affiliate dave.allured at noaa.gov
Fri Jul 8 16:41:23 MDT 2016

Thanks, Dennis.

Kay, here is a workaround to write characters in big endian mode.  This
uses unsigned shorts to circumvent the current problem with single-byte
data types.

  f = "test8.bin"
  str = "abcdef"
  ubytes  = toubyte (tochar (str))
  ushorts = toushort (256 * ubytes(0::2) + ubytes(1::2))
  setfileoption ("bin", "WriteByteOrder", "BigEndian")
  fbinrecwrite (f, 0, ushorts)

This trick requires an even number of characters in the string to be
written.  HTH.

--Dave

On Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 4:08 PM, Dennis Shea <shea at ucar.edu> wrote:

> FYI: A JIRA ticket has been opened: NCL_2462
>

> On Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 3:10 PM, Dave Allured - NOAA Affiliate <
> dave.allured at noaa.gov> wrote:
>
>> Kay and NCL,
>>
>> I can confirm that fbinrecwrite fails to correctly write an array of
>> characters in big endian mode.  I also found the same failure for types
>> byte and ubyte.  So I think this is a bug in NCL that needs fixing.
>>
>> Here is a reduced test case.  Use any of x1, x2, or x3 in the write
>> statement.  I get valid little-endian output files when the setfileoption
>> statement is commented out.  I get the same good and bad results on both
>> Linux and Mac systems; both are little-endian X86 type systems.
>>
>>   f = "test7.bin"
>>   x1 = tochar ("name7")
>>   x2 = tobyte (x1)
>>   x3 = toubyte (x1)
>>   setfileoption ("bin", "WriteByteOrder", "BigEndian")
>>   fbinrecwrite (f, 0, x1)
>>
>> --Dave
>>

>> On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 4:31 AM, Kay Shelton <kay.shelton at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello ncl-talkers,
>>>
>>> I have a little bit of a conundrum with trying to write a binary file
>>> for a colleague that is destined to be used in TELEMAC-2D. The binary file
>>> that I am trying to write needs to include characters, integers and floats,
>>> and will be used on a machine that is Big Endian. I am creating the file on
>>> a Linux machine that is Little Endian, hence when I write the binary file I
>>> am using "setfileoption("bin","WriteByteOrder","BigEndian")". This all
>>> works fine for integers and floats, but the characters are not correctly
>>> represented in the output binary.
>>>
>>> I have written a short piece of code that demonstrates the problem
>>> succinctly:

>>> begin
>>>
>>> endianness = isbigendian()
>>> words = "blah_de_blah_de_blah"
>>> words_char = new(strlen(words),character)
>>> words_char = tochar(" ")
>>> words_char(0:strlen(words)-1) = tochar(words)