[ncl-talk] (advect_variable) is undefined, can't continue

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Mon Jan 25 11:39:32 MST 2016

The gradients are calculated via spherical harmonics. Hence, the
'global grid' requirement. NOTE: The spherical harmonic derived
gradients are "highly accurate".
You can see the code by looking at contributed.ncl.

Yes: typo (fixed):     U*(dT/dlon) + V*(dT/dlat)  =>  (m/s)*(K/m) => K/s

Also, you can see a new page that is actually associated more with
6.4.0 but could be useful:

https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/gradients.shtml

===
Updated doc: