[ncl-talk] NclMalloc Failed

Nick Lybarger nicklybarger at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 07:25:28 MST 2016

Hi all,
I've been having some trouble loading a large set of files into my script
as a single variable.  I'm trying to load a set of high resolution
satellite data totaling around 24GB in size.  Is it even possible to load
files this large?  Here is sample code of what I've tried so far.

allfiles=systemfunc("ls *.nc")
setfileoption("nc,"Format","LargeFile")  (also, have tried "NetCDF4" here)
f=addfiles(allfiles,"r")
ListSetType(f,"cat")
time=(f[:]->time)
tauxx=(f[:]->surface_downward_eastward_stress)

For which I get the error

fatal:NclMalloc Failed:[errno=12]
Segmentation fault

Does this simply mean that these files are too large to load as one
variable?  The NCL documentation claims there is no file size limit.  I
would really appreciate some help.  Thanks!

--
Nick Lybarger
George Mason University
nlybarge at gmu.edu