[ncl-talk] Question CAPE/CIN

Alan Brammer abrammer at albany.edu
Tue Feb 16 11:02:06 MST 2016

https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/wrf_cape_3d.shtml <https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/wrf_cape_3d.shtml>

There are plenty of examples at the bottom of that page to show how to read in etc.

My first guess at example of how I would start.
;Assuming
;p, t, q, z (lev,lat,lon) and psfc, zsfc (lat,lon)
;lev is increasing  and in hPa

cape_cin = wrf_cape_3d(p, t, q, z, zsfc, psfc, True)

maxcape500 = dim_max_n(cape_cin(0,{500:},:,:), 0)
mincin500 = dim_min_n(cape_cin(1,{500:},:,:), 0)

untested psuedocode look into the functions used and make sure that is what you actually want.  I’m not overly familiar with wrf_cape_3d.

Alan