[ncl-talk] help

Alan Brammer abrammer at albany.edu
Wed Feb 3 10:00:01 MST 2016

ok, I’ll bite and attempt to answer.

Assuming you mean this:
Power Dissipation Index (PDI) for a tropical cyclone is defined as, "the sum of the maximum one-minute sustained wind speed cubed, at six-hourly intervals, for all periods when the cyclone is at least tropical storm strength”.

so calculate wind speed. 		https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/wind_speed.shtml
find maximum  				https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/local_max.shtml
cube the maximum value.  		x^3

What your units are and whether they match Emanuels or others is a problem you’ll have to work out.

Alan Brammer,
Post-Doc Researcher

Department of Atmospheric and Environmental Sciences,
University at Albany, State University of New York, Albany, NY, 12222
abrammer at albany.edu