[ncl-talk] emphasize every parts of a line with different colors according to its y value.

Alan Brammer abrammer at albany.edu
Fri Dec 30 12:59:58 MST 2016

ok, so there are multiples ways to plot a line.
Here’s my method which is over complicated for a single line but has massive speed benefits if you want to plot multiple lines.

Similar to the previous replies, you can use the relatively undocumented gsSegments and gsColors resources to do pretty much what Rick describes but with better scaleability.

Attached function with hopefully sufficient comments to explain whats going on and includes an inline demo function at the bottom I put together a while back.

To run the demo either load the script and call colored_line_demo() or comment out lines 127/128 and then `ncl add_colored_line.ncl` will run it as the main script.

Note to devs, attached in this script is an extended version of get_color_index() to accept an array of "value". Could this be included in the main function, it's a trivial edit and retains backwards compatibility.

Alan.