[ncl-talk] Land Mask

Jake Huff jake.huff at stonybrook.edu
Sat Dec 17 13:07:34 MST 2016

Hello,

I am currently trying to create a high resolution land mask to include the
smaller islands in the Caribbean. I am using the mask_5.ncl example script
under the masking section. In the documentation, it discusses the 1 degree
by 1 degree basemap found here:  *$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/data/cdf/landsea.nc
<http://landsea.nc>*

I am attaching the script that I am currently using to create a 0.1x0.1
degree grid. It runs correctly, but I end up with the same land mask if I
plot the landmask from the basemap above. My new landmask is at the higher
resolution but smaller islands are not included. I think I need to increase
the resolution of the basemap as opposed to just increasing the resolution
of the landmask. I was wondering how I would go about creating a 0.1x0.1
degree basemap. I need the high resolution to determine if tropical
cyclones make landfall on the islands in the Caribbean, so I need to have
the islands show up as land and not ocean.

Thanks for any help,

Jake