[ncl-talk] states in map

Karin Meier-Fleischer meier-fleischer at dkrz.de
Fri Dec 16 02:53:08 MST 2016

Hi Jonathan,

you can use the //
<http://ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/Resources/mp.shtml#mpFillAreaSpecifiers>
/mpMaskAreaSpecifiers/
<http://ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/Resources/mp.shtml#mpMaskAreaSpecifiers>
resources to indicate which map areas to fill and mask.
See the masking examples mask_4.ncl and mask_8.ncl in the masking
examples section:

http://ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/mask.shtml

Here is a short script to plot data only for the USA:

begin
   f   =  addfile("rectilinear_grid_2D.nc","r")
   var =  f->tsurf(0,:,:)

;-- open workstation
   wks = gsn_open_wks("png","plot_mask_fill_only_USA")

;-- set resources
   res                       =  True
   res at cnFillOn              =  True
   res at cnLineLabelsOn        =  False
   res at cnInfoLabelOn         =  False
   res at cnLinesOn             =  False

   res at mpMinLonF             =  170
   res at mpMaxLonF             =  295
   res at mpMinLatF             =   22
   res at mpMaxLatF             =   74
   res at mpCenterLonF          =  215

   res at mpDataBaseVersion     = "Ncarg4_1"
   res at mpAreaMaskingOn       =  True
   res at mpFillBoundarySets    = "NoBoundaries"

   res at mpMaskAreaSpecifiers  = "united states"                   ;--
enable masking and specify the area
   res at mpOutlineBoundarySets = "USStates"                     ;-- draw
US and state outlines
   res at cnFillDrawOrder       = "Predraw"

;-- create the plot
   plot = gsn_csm_contour_map(wks,var,res)

end

Bye, Karin