[ncl-talk] polar plot and gsnAddCyclic

Marston Johnston shejo284 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 14:51:04 MST 2016

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the clarification. Makes sense and this is one to save in memory for next time.

Best,

/M

From: Adam Phillips <asphilli at ucar.edu>
Date: Wednesday, 14 December 2016 at 23:10
To: Marston Johnston <shejo284 at gmail.com>
Cc: "ncl-talk at ucar.edu" <ncl-talk at ucar.edu>
Subject: Re: [ncl-talk] polar plot and gsnAddCyclic

Hi Marston,

Thanks for providing your data file and a easy to run script as that always makes debugging so much easier.

Looking at your longitudes they are regularly spaced from 1.267E to 357.349E by 2.5254 degrees. I believe the gsn_add_cyclic error message is coming in because the spacing between your first and last longitudes is much larger than the spacing between all other neighboring longitudes: 3.91 degrees. Thus, you can set gsnAddCyclic = True (=the default) and NCL will interpolate between the first and last longitudes when plotting, but it will warn you that it isn't sure it should be doing this.

Thus, if you are fine with NCL interpolating over the larger distance over the prime meridian I do not think you need to worry about the error messages. If you really want to get rid of them you can try interpolating to a new longitude between your first and last longitudes (that will result in very irregular longitude spacing and still might not get rid of the error messages) or interpolating to a new grid (say a 2.5 degree grid that starts at 0).

Hope that helps!

Adam