[ncl-talk] Can ncl do map plotting like the example?

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Sun Dec 11 22:22:19 MST 2016

Tao,

It looks like you have three plot elements you are asking about.

[1]

The first is an arrow pointing up to show North. We don't have the exact
type of arrow that you indicated, but you can draw any character from any
one of our font tables on a plot using gsn_add_text.

See here for a list of fonts:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/font_tables.shtml

Click on any of them, like "math-symbols", "text-symbols", or "weather1"
and you may see an arrow you like. Once you find one, let's say it was the
"-" symbol in font table 34, then you can add it to your map with
gsn_add_text.

[2]

The second is a smaller map drawn on top of a bigger map.  You can simply
create two maps, using vpXXX resources to make the second one much smaller,
and to change the location of where it's drawn.

[3]

The third element is similar to a labelbar, but the one major difference is
that the boxes are not equal in size. Unfortunately, there's no automatic
way to draw a legend/labelbar like this that represents distance. You can
certainly create one by hand, but this is going to be rather tedious.

I've attached a script that draws the first two elements of this plot.You
will need to customize this plot to get the exact results you want, but
hopefully this gives you a start.

 For the labelbar, you can try creating one yourself using
gsn_create_labelbar, or gsn_add_polygon.

See these pages for some examples:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/labelbar.shtml
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/polyg.shtml

--Mary