[ncl-talk] Questions about argument setting in eofunc

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Thu Dec 8 22:51:50 MST 2016

What do you mean by "normalizing" ?

[a] transforming to a normal (Gaussian) distribution.
[b] transforming to unit variance
[c] ???
===
Using the raw data:

[1] Using the covariance matrix emphasizes variance.
[2] Using the correlation matrix emphasizes patterns.

Correlations are 'normalized' by the product of the standard deviations.

   cor = SUM [(X(t)-Xave)*(Y(t)-Yave)}]/(Xstd*Ystd)

====

I'd suggest you experiment.

Incidentally, as noted in the 'eofunc' documentation,
the input data array need not be anomalies. NCL's function
does that 'under-the-hood'

Good luck