[ncl-talk] calculating EP flux from JRA55

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Thu Dec 1 16:40:45 MST 2016

A wild guess: I speculate there is a *scaling issue*.
https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/epflux.shtml

The NCL epflux function code can be examined by looking at contributed.ncl
[ 6.4.0 ]
The NCL function was based upon code developed by scientists at NOAA/PSD.
NCL's results match.

%> less $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/contributed.ncl

"function epflux"  is the user interface but the "function epflux4" is the
function that does the work. T

*As you can see, there is *nothing* that is NCEP specific.*

---
Are t 'plev' you are inputting 'plev' as  hPa or Pa ?

Some additional information:

http://www.met.reading.ac.uk/~pn904784/snap/ep_flux_calculations.html
http://www.met.reading.ac.uk/~pn904784/snap/ssw20122013.html
http://esrl.noaa.gov/psd/data/epflux/images/EP_Flux_Calculation_and_Display.pdf"