[ncl-talk] printing the names of colors used in legendbar of contour plot

Tabish Ansari tabishumaransari at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 21:38:58 MDT 2016

Hi

I'm trying to compare wrf model output (contour plot) with some station
data (scattered observations). I am trying to color the markers of the
station data based on their values and create a similar legend bar as the
wrf-contour. However, this is not very straightforward as I'm using
predefined colormap for wrf-contour but have to explicitly specify the name
of the color for each range in case of station data.

This will be very easy if I know the exact name of each shade used in the
legend bar of wrf-contour (out of the 650 named colors in NCL). Is there a
way to print the names of these colors used in the legendbar?

Thanks

Tabish

Tabish U Ansari
PhD student, Lancaster Environment Center
Lancaster Univeristy
Bailrigg, Lancaster,
LA1 4YW, United Kingdom