[ncl-talk] which value has dmsg

Erik J. Schaffernicht eschaffe at uni-koeln.de
Fri Apr 29 17:37:56 MDT 2016

In the ncl eof fortran code, there is a variable    dmsg

How does it get its value?     How is the value transferred from the
NCLscript  to fortran?
Is dmsg taken from the metadata, i.e.   @missing_value  ressource of the
array I pass to eofunc()  ?

Can I run an eof, where I set 75% of the grid points to missing_value
in my input array?

If yes, I expect my eof outcome to be the same if I just give as input,
i.e.:

VersionA
Say 10 grid points, that have everywhere valid data and that are concat.
to one array.

VersionB
Say 40 grid points, the 10 of VersionA concatenated with 30 other.
The 30 other g. p. consist of missing_value for all time steps, so only
the 10 grid points equal to those of VersionA  contain data for every
time step.
The eof output will be the same as for VersionA, right?

Or should I set these 30 grid points equal to value zero,  =0, instead
of to   missing_value?

My aim is to pass a fixed dimension size array to eof and
mask/set-to-zero/ignore  all grid points that I do not need during that
eof calculation.