[ncl-talk] NCL wrf_user_vert_interp array size and time dimensions

Alan Brammer abrammer at albany.edu
Tue Apr 26 11:38:01 MDT 2016

Hi NCL/WRF help,

Tried to use this function and came across some issues.  Not extensively tested so there maybe workarounds/solutions I missed.  Was only working with interpolating to pressure levels.

ncl-team:
Documentation isn't quite complete enough about the input field to the function.

The function uses wrf_user_getvar(nc_file,"height",-1) and tries to match this dimensionality to the passed field variable.  Unless the user also knew to use -1 then this function fails internally at :

 field_out = wrf_vintrp(field,P,tk,qvp,ght,terht(0,:,:),sfp,smsfp,\
                         vcord_array,interp_levels,icase,extrap,vcor,logP)

It would be better for the documentation to explicitly tell the user to match the dimensionality of  wrf_user_getvar(nc_file,"height",-1) or the code could be improved as below.

wrf-help:
It would be better for the function to get the correct time or times based on the input field or other argument passed to opts.

If people write multiple times to the same file, this limitation will make this function basically useless to a number of users (e.g. myself, theres no way my machine can read in multiple entire 4d variables when all I need is a single time).

I made simple edits to the function to accept a TIME argument contained in opts.

I’m also not convinced about how terrain height is currently handled in this function.  If the user has a moving domain then this function will only use the first time?

Alan

Alan Brammer,
Post-Doc Researcher

Department of Atmospheric and Environmental Sciences,
University at Albany, State University of New York, Albany, NY, 12222
abrammer at albany.edu