[ncl-talk] What is the method used in "dim_spi_n" function to estimate three gamma parameters of the Pearson type III distribution

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Mon Apr 25 08:49:21 MDT 2016

Kritanai,

Yes, by default, this function will calculate the SPI by applying a
2-parameter gamma distribution fit, regardless of whether you have NCL
Version 6.2.1 or 6.3.0.

To get the Pearson type III distribution, you need to have NCL V6.3.0 or
later, and you need to set:

  opt = True
  opt at spi_type = 3

You can see full information on the dim_spi_n page:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/dim_spi_n.shtml

--Mary