[ncl-talk] Issue with plotting and maximizing space in multi-panel plot on same workstation

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Tue Sep 29 23:13:38 MDT 2015

​Hi Alan,

I think the way to go is to simply turn on the labelbar for the rightmost
plots, and turn it off for everybody else. You then don't need to do
anything special when you panel the plots.

Please see the attached script, which uses dummy data.

--Mary
​

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 5:43 PM, Alan Rhoades <alan.m.rhoades at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Adam,
>
> I have a question that builds off of the last one I had a few months ago.
> I have attached my NCL script and a *.pdf of the output that it generates.
>
> So, I'm now trying to panel four different panel plots, each with their
> own unique color bar and value ranges.  I've tried to refrain from setting
> gsnPanelLeft and gsnPanelRight (like you suggested previously), but the
> white space issue is cropping up again (see attached *.pdf).
>
> I have three questions...
>
> 1) How can I get rid of this awkward white spacing
> 2) How can I move each of the color bars so that they are up against the
> rightmost plot boxes?
> 3) How can I ensure that the last of the date strings are not omitted
> (i.e., 2005, 2025, and 2100) in each of the plots?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> AR
>

> On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 2:35 PM, Alan Rhoades <alan.m.rhoades at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Adam,
>>
>> I went with your first suggestion (which involved less modification of my
>> ncl script) and commented out the gsnPanelRight (and *Left) settings I had
>> and the plot sizing/spacing looks much better.  I'll make sure to just do
>> one gsn_panel call in all my scripts from now on.
>>
>> Thanks again!
>>
>> AR
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 2:05 PM, Adam Phillips <asphilli at ucar.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Alan,
>>> I have 2 suggestions:
>>> 1) Only make one gsn_panel call if you can. By making multiple gsn_panel
>>> calls and by setting gsnPanelTop/Bottom you are semi-negating setting
>>> gsnMaximize = True. You will have to concatenate your gsnPanelFigureStrings
>>> calls and merge your graphic arrays. The latter can be accomplished in 1 of
>>> two ways:
>>> gsn_panel(wks,(/plot_SNOWFALL_avg(0),plot_SNOWFALL_avg(1),../),
>>> or
>>> plot = new(12,graphic)
>>> plot(:2) = plot_SNOWFALL_avg
>>> plot(3:5) = plot_SNOWC_avg