[ncl-talk] Reduce white space in the plot

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Mon Sep 28 08:54:50 MDT 2015

[The original message I sent didn't go through because my attachments were
too large.  I had to reject my own posting!  I'm reposting my answer with
fewer attachments and some cleanup of my original response.]

Debasish,

Since you chose a 2 x 4 (2 rows by 4 columns) configuration for your plot,
you are pretty much taking up all the possible space in the width that you
have available.

There are a few ways to make your plots bigger:

   - You are using a size of 2500 x 2500 for your PNG, which is a good
   size.  You can trim the white space by calling "convert -trim" on the PNG
   after the panel plot has been drawn. You need to add this code at the end
   of your script, before the "end" statement, but after the "frame" call:

   delete(wks)
   system("convert -trim Test_wspace.png Test_wspace.trim.png")

"convert" is part of ImageMagick.  For information on downloading this free
tool, see
http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php

   - Set gsnPanelYWhiteSpacePercent / gsnPanelXWhiteSpacePercent to
   something smaller than 4.  If you use a value of 0, then your plots will
   almost be touching. I used a value of 1.0

   - Use a configuration other than 2 x 4, like 4 x 2, or even 3 x 3, if
   you don't mind having 2 rows of 3 plots, and then 1 row with 2 plots. But,
   if you do this, I suggest not moving the labelbar so far away from the
   paneled plots, because then you are decreasing the amount of space for
   where you can put the plots. In general, I suggest not setting the
   gsnPanelBottom/Top/Left/Right resources, unless you need to for other
   reasons, like doing multiple panels on one page.

See the modified script, which uses dummy data, and the attached PNG images
(both non-trimmed and trimmed), which I generated by using a value of 1.0
for the "WhiteSpacePercent" resources, and by doing a "convert -trim" after
the image was created. I also removed the white space before the labelbar,
but you don't need to do this. I made the original PNG 1500x1500 to make
the attachment a little smaller.

--Mary