[ncl-talk] Hovmoller 2d lat and 2d lon rectangular grid

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Wed Sep 16 08:59:47 MDT 2015

General comment:

You can do a 'cross-section' on a curvilinear grid. However, it
depends on what you mean by cross-section ... :-)

Rectilinear grid:   'classic' hovmueller-sections: x(time,lat, lon)
     (a)   x(:,nl,:)     ; west-east at the specified latitude index
=> x(time,longitude)
     (b)   x(:,:,ml)    ; south-north (or vice-versa) at a specified
longitude index  => x(time,latitude)

      In case (a) the only values only are needed for the (say)
x-axis; case (b) only the lat values

Curvilinear grid:  y(time,nlat,mlon) ... generically the same but you
must plot lat/lon pair. Although not Hovmueller plots. See:

      http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/narr.shtml
      Example 6: These show pressure levels on the left but they could be time