[ncl-talk] Contour Plot Help

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Mon Sep 14 09:15:14 MDT 2015

Hi Mariama,
My guess is that you have either a very high resolution grid and/or a very
noisy data array, and NCL is warning you that the output graphic is
exceeding the maximum size that is set.

See the FAQ page here:
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/FAQ/#err_msgs_012

The solutions are:
1) Increase your work station size as the FAQ describes.
2) Change your contour settings. If it would be better to set non-regular
levels you can set cnLevelSelectionMode = "ExplicitLevels" and set cnLevels
to   (/200,300,340,380,420,460,500/)  (Those levels are a complete guess.)
3) If it is a very high resolution grid you can try plotting every other
point or every third point using ::2 or ::3 syntax.

If none of those solutions help please let the ncl-talk email list know.
Adam