[ncl-talk] Station data plotting.

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Mon Sep 14 06:58:03 MDT 2015

In addition to KMF's suggestion, there are numerous examples of
reading ascii at:

   http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/

Click 'Examples'

Click 'File I/O'

Click  the section containing

===
Output ascii
Read ascii
Output CSV
Read CSV
===

Really, you should have shown one or two lines of the data.
The first column .. are they integer IDs? Are the mixed alphabetical
and numeriic (Pune123)?
Your file looks like a header line (row) and 4 columns of information.

asciiread, read AsciiTable, ..... look at them.

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/string.shtml

See the Examples but the most robust would likely be

  diri = "./"     ; input file directory
  fili  = "your_ascii_file"

  ncol = 4      ; # of fields
  delim= " "   ; delimiter
  dstr = asciiread(diri+fili, -1, "string")   ; read all as string

  sta   = str_get_field(dstr, 1, delim)
  lat    = tofloat(str_get_field(dstr, 2, delim))
  lpn  =  ... 3 ...
  rain  = ... 4 ...