[ncl-talk] ncl-talk Digest, Vol 142, Issue 14

David Jones jonesd647 at yahoo.ca
Sat Sep 12 14:32:44 MDT 2015

Hi Sebastian,
I don't have a direct answer to your question... What I normally do with png output is to set the variables wkHeight and wkWidth to large values so that the png output is very high resolution. So at the start of your script put something like:
type                        = "png"
type at wkWidth  = 2888 ; set these to whatever values you want
type at wkHeight = 2048 ;
wks                         = gsn_open_wks(type,out_file_name)
Then at the very end of my script, I use the NCL "system" command to call ImageMagick to trim all of the white space at the edges of the plot. My script ends like this:...

if (type .eq. "png") then
   system("convert -trim +repage  " + out_file_name + ".png " + out_file_name + ".png ")
end if

end

Also note that if you're making particularly large files then you may need to insert something like *wsMaximumSize: 100000000 at the end of the .hluresfile in your home directory (I'm not sure if this still applies with the newest versions of NCL).

Good luck!
Dave.