[ncl-talk] change global attribute in netcdf file

Luo, Chao chao.luo at eas.gatech.edu
Fri Sep 11 16:55:53 MDT 2015

Thanks Mary. This works.

Chao

----- Original Message -----

From: "Mary Haley" <haley at ucar.edu>
To: "Chao Luo" <chao.luo at eas.gatech.edu>
Cc: "ncl-talk Talk" <ncl-talk at ucar.edu>
Sent: Friday, September 11, 2015 8:11:28 AM
Subject: Re: [ncl-talk] change global attribute in netcdf file

Chao,

I didn't see any response to this; I apologize for the delay.

Whenever you have "non-standard" variable names like this, you can use the special $"..."$ syntax to work around it:

att_glb = True
att_glb@$"VAR-LIST"$= name_value;
fileattdef( fout, att_glb )

Note that this syntax *only* works when you use it for an attribute name, a dimension name, or a coordinate variable. Some examples:

x!$"dim-0"$ = "lat" ; as a dimension name

x&$"latitude-0"$ = (/10,20,30,40/) ; as a coordinate variable name

You can't use it like this:

$"myvar-0"$ = 58.1

--Mary