[ncl-talk] specx_anal and wavelet

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Thu Oct 29 16:45:40 MDT 2015

Just like 'filwgts_lanczos' where examples are focused on time. NCL's
wavelet function is focused on time. However, like 'filwgts_lanczos'
it could be applied to space. In both applications the values must be
equally spaced. (This may require interpolation.)

As noted at
   http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/wavelet.shtml

NCL's wavelet function is a direct interface to the fortran software at:

   http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/wavelet.shtml

More details are at:

Torrence, C. and G. P. Compo, 1998: A Practical Guide to Wavelet
Analysis. Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc., 79, 61-78.

     http://dx.doi.org/10.1175/1520-0477(1998)079<0061:APGTWA>2.0.CO;2

This will clarify the terminology used by the software.

Good luck