[ncl-talk] Extracting Wind Data and Calculating Wind Speed for a Particular Grid Point

Dennis Shea shea at ucar.edu
Mon Oct 26 13:28:30 MDT 2015

What did you try?

Did you look at the WRD category documentation?
   http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/wrf.shtml

Specifically, p

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/WRF_arw/wrf_user_latlon_to_ij.shtmllease
read:
   http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/WRF_arw/wrf_user_getvar.shtml

You can get the wind components: ua, va

wspd = sqrt(ua^2 + va^2)

===

If i, j are the lon/lat indices

wspd_ij = sqrt(ua(:,:,j,i)^2 + va(:,:,j,i)^2)  ; (:,:)

copy_VarCoords(ua, wspd_ij)

===
If you do not know the i,j please read
   http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/WRF_arw/wrf_user_latlon_to_ij.shtml