[ncl-talk] Question re: Regridding geographic subsets using ESMF_regrid

Jacob Klee (VirginiaPower - 1) jacob.klee at dom.com
Mon Oct 26 12:49:19 MDT 2015

Hello,

I am diving back into NCL after about a decade away, and have a few questions about regridding.  I have gathered a few parameters (Z500hPa, MSLP, and SST) from numerous reanalysis datasets, having already geographically subset all to (as close as possible) 85N, -180E, -10N, 180E.  I intend to regrid them all to the NCEP R1 2.5x2.5deg grid.

Question 1) I assume that I will want to set option “SrcRegional” to True?
Question 2) Should I contract the destination grid to 82.5N, -180E, -7.5N, 180E as some of the rectilinear datasets will have 85N & -10N as their northern and southernmost data (JRA-55 for ex), or does the script handle that for the user with the option “SrcRegional” set to true?
Question 3) Any recommendation on which interpolation method(s) would best suite each of the three data types?

-- Jacob Klee

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This electronic message contains information which may be legally confidential and or privileged and does not in any case represent a firm ENERGY COMMODITY bid or offer relating thereto which binds the sender without an additional express written confirmation to that effect.  The information is intended solely for the individual or entity named above and access by anyone else is unauthorized.  If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this information is prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please reply immediately to the sender that you have received the message in error, and delete it.  Thank you.