[ncl-talk] overlaying map on WRF region

Mary Haley haley at ucar.edu
Thu Oct 8 11:32:00 MDT 2015

I think the issue may be with the resolution of the map outlines, and not
with the map projection.

Dennis provided me with your sample WRF output file, and I created a script
that shows three plots, each with different map resolutions:

   - the "MediumRes" one (the one you are currently using)

   - "HighRes" (a high-res coastal outline that you have to download; see
   http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/rangs.shtml)

   - Using shapefile outlines downloaded from gadm.org/country

See the attached script, and the final image from this script, which draws
all three plots in a panel so you can see the difference.

If you run this script, you will also see a frame that draws the actual WRF
lat/lon grid.  This helps you see that the map projection on the file is
correct, because your WRF lat/lon lines would be crooked if not.

The medium resolution map database, which is part of NCL, is not as
accurate as the RANGS or shapefile databases.

--Mary