[ncl-talk] addfiles error in ncl

Kyle Griffin ksgriffin2 at wisc.edu
Wed Nov 25 11:38:50 MST 2015

Have you considered the input to addfiles? You appear to be passing the
filesize value (column 5 when you run ls -l (lower case L) in your
directory) to the NCL function. I can't imagine this is intended, as
addfiles is looking for the file name itself - but fname ends up as the
size, not the name. Even if you were getting them as names, you then run
toint(fname), which should fail if you were actually getting the names as
strings.

Try using 'ls -1 filenames*.nc' (the number one) and this should print out
all of your files in that directory with one name on each line, a format
that addfiles will read from quite well and you can avoid your use of awk.
Your current method could also work, but would require pulling a later
column in the awk command (perhaps 9?).

Consider what you actually want your 'print(fsz)' statement to output...you
do well by looking at it, but that output is showing you the problem of
trying to read the variable from a bunch of numbers and not files.

Kyle

Kyle S. Griffin
Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
University of Wisconsin - Madison
Room 1407
1225 W Dayton St, Madison, WI 53706
Email: ksgriffin2 at wisc.edu