[ncl-talk] RasterFill and MissingValFill

Dave Allured - NOAA Affiliate dave.allured at noaa.gov
Thu Nov 19 16:45:57 MST 2015

Adam,

I think this is a very old issue; I have seen this before with RasterFill.
Actually there IS a difference in how missing values are shaded, and it is
normal.  The problem is with the the perimeter lines, not the missing value
shading.

Missing value areas are drawn correctly in both modes, it is just that the
area shaded for non-missing data is naturally larger in RasterFill mode
than in AreaFill mode.  RasterFill draws the normal shaded data areas an
extra 1/2 cell width into missing value regions.

As far as I can remember, the missing value perimeter line has ALWAYS
followed edges as generated by AreaFill, regardless of alternate cnFillMode
settings.  I do not know whether there was ever any intention of changing
the perimeter line to follow the cnFillMode, or whether this was just a
feature intended only for normal AreaFill mode.  I did not find any clues
in ContourPlot documentation.  HTH.

--Dave