[ncl-talk] About Hodograph

Adam Phillips asphilli at ucar.edu
Wed Nov 18 13:39:46 MST 2015

Hi Soares,
Looking at the wrf_user_intrp3d documentation:
https://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/WRF_arw/wrf_user_intrp3d.shtml

and assuming your height array has units of meters, it looks to me like
your input plane array should just contain a single value:
plane = 30 (when interpolating to 30m). The documentation states that you
should include more than one value if you are doing a cross-section, which
you are not.

Also, as you are interpolating to a horizontal level I think you should
specify a "h" instead of a "v".

So, try changing this:
u_plane  = wrf_user_intrp3d( u,height,"v",plane,0.,False)
v_plane  = wrf_user_intrp3d( v,height,"v",plane,0.,False)
to this:
u_plane  = wrf_user_intrp3d( u,height,"h",30,0.,False)
v_plane  = wrf_user_intrp3d( v,height,"h",30,0.,False)

Note that there is also a WRF online tutorial page describing this function
here:
http://www2.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/OnLineTutorial/Graphics/NCL/NCL_functions.htm#intrp3d

If you have any further issues with wrf_user_intrp3d or any other wrf
function in NCL please email wrfhelp at ucar.edu.
Adam