[ncl-talk] SST plot with strange range

Don Murray (NOAA Affiliate) don.murray at noaa.gov
Thu Nov 12 09:18:00 MST 2015

Sorry, I didn't look at your attachments and now that I have, the data
are definitely packed in shorts:

	short sst(time, lat, lon) ;
		sst:standard_name = "sea_surface_temperature" ;
		sst:long_name = "Monthly Mean of Sea Surface Temperature" ;
		sst:units = "degC" ;
		sst:add_offset = 0.f ;
		sst:scale_factor = 0.01f ;
		sst:_FillValue = 32767s ;
		sst:missing_value = 32767s ;
		sst:unpacked_valid_range = -5.f, 40.f ;
		sst:actual_range = -1.8f, 35.31f ;
		sst:precision = 2s ;
		sst:least_significant_digit = 2s ;
		sst:var_desc = "Sea Surface Temperature" ;
		sst:dataset = "NOAA Optimum Interpolation (OI) SST V2" ;
		sst:level_desc = "Surface" ;
		sst:statistic = "Mean" ;
		sst:parent_stat = "Weekly Mean" ;
		sst:cell_methods = "time: mean (monthly from weekly values
interpolated to daily)" ;

In your script, call:

oisst  	= short2flt(in_oisst_f->sst)

when you read in the data.  Ferret must automatically apply the
scale/offset - NCL doesn't.

Don

On 11/12/15 9:07 AM, Izidine Pinto wrote:
> Dear NCL users,
>
> I was wondering if anyone can help me solving my problem. It might be
> simple but I'm missing something.
> When I plot it in NCL I get big numbers of SSTs but when I plot in
> ferret I get what I expect (temperature range -2:34 degC)
> Please see attached the working example and the figure.
>

> Thank you
> Izidine

Don Murray
NOAA/ESRL/PSD and CU-CIRES